Where to Apply
You can apply for a Firearms I.D. (FID) card or Class A or B License to Carry Firearms (LTC) at the Police Department in the city or town where you live or where your principal place of business is located. As of October 21, 1998, your current LTC will automatically become a Class A LTC until its stated expiration date.
|License to Carry Firearms Identification Card||$100
No fee charged for applicants 71 years of age or older
|License to Sell, Rent or Lease Firearms||$100||6 Years|
|License to be in business as a Gunsmith||$100
No fee charged if applicant has License to Sell, Rent or Lease
|License to Sell Ammunition||$100||1 Year|
|Firearms I.D. Card: Restricted to Chemical Propellant or Pepper Spray||No fee charged for renewal applicant|
|License to Possess Machine Guns||No fee charged for renewal applicants 71 years of age or older||6 years|
|Permit to Purchase Firearms||$100|
What You Will Need
The pictures for your FID or LTC Original or Renewal Gun License will be taken at the Berlin Police Station and are included in the above fee schedule.
Fees can be paid by Cash, Money Order or Check. Please make checks payable to: Town of Berlin
Strict new eligibility requirements now apply including a firearms safety course.
For a list of eligible facilities: Firearms Safety Courses.
Please contact your local Police officials or Sgt. Schartner email@example.com for details.
To Renew your Firearms Identification or License to Carry Holder
Renewals are done on-line at the Berlin Police Dept. through the Criminal History Systems Board. Please contact Sergeant Schartner at the Berlin Police Station at 978 838-7355 for renewal procedures. Renewal fees are the same as above.
Possession of weapons without a valid renewed license or permit may carry civil penalties as provided in M.G.L. c. 140, §§ 129B (12) and § 131(m). For additional information regarding the Gun Control Act of 1998, see G.L. c. 140, § 121 et seq.
To Receive a Firearms Identification Card (FID)
- You must be 18 years of age or older, or 15 to 18 years old with parental consent to apply for a Fire Identification Card (FID) card.
- A restricted FID is available solely for the possession of mace or pepper spray.
- The current FID card will be valid for 6 years and permits the possession and
carrying of non-large capacity rifles and shotguns.
- The fee for an FID card is $100.00.
- Strict new eligibility requirements now apply. Please contact your local police officials for details.
To Receive a License to Carry Firearms (LTC)
- Class A License – permits the purchase, possession and carrying of large-capacity handguns, rifles, shotguns, and feeding devices.
- Class B License – permits the purchase, possession, and carrying of non-large capacity handguns and large-capacity rifles and shotguns.
For both Class A LTC and Class B LTC:
- New applicants must be 21 years of age or older
- Your current LTC will be valid until its stated expiration date
- The new Class A and Class B LTC’s are valid for 6 years
- The fee for a Class A or Class B LTC is $100.00
- Strict new eligibility requirements now apply, Please contact your local police officials for details.
- Your current LTC is valid until the stated expiration date. Any new LTCs issued are valid only for 4 years.
Massachusetts Gun Control Act of 1998
The new law has significantly changed the requirements regarding the purchase, possession, carrying, storage and licensing of firearms. This law also increases the criminal penalties for unlawful possession and use of firearms.
- Effective June 1, 1998, all new firearm license applicants must complete a certified firearms safety or hunter education course
- Effective October 21, 1998, all firearms must be stored in a locked container or be equipped with an approved locking device
- Effective October 21, 1998, the law imposes a ban on covert guns, unreliable guns (junk guns), and certain assault weapons
- Effective October 21, 1998, the law defines a new category of large capacity weapons and feeding devices. A weapon is large capacity if it is: A semi-automatic handgun or rifle capable of accepting a feeding device that holds more than 10 rounds, and for shotguns, more than 5 shotgun shells.
If you possess an FID card on October 21, 1998, together with a handgun which you obtained with a permit to purchase, your FID card allows you to validly possess this handgun in your residence or place of business.
If you possess an FID card on October 21, 1998, together with a large-capacity rifle or shotgun, you may continue to possess the rifle or shotgun until your FID card expires. At that time, you must apply for a Class B LTC.